is a luxurious Safari Cruiser on Lake Kariba
, Zimbabwe. With a length of 28.6 meters, 6.85 meters on the beam and approximately 105 tonnes in mass, she is driven by two 420 hp marine diesel engines. Matusadona is split over three decks, and is truly one of the best Kariba houseboats
available for hire. Finished in African hardwood timbers and furnished with rich fabrics, leather and Egyptian cottons, Matusadona has been described as “an intimate luxury lodge on the water”.
With spacious air-conditioned cabin accommodation for up to seven passengers, situated right on the waterline, you’ll feel at one with nature. The gentle lapping of waves, the frequent grunt of the hippos, the distant lion’s roar, the cough of a leopard, the eerie cry of the Fish Eagle and all the attendant sounds of Africa – you’re in the real bush whilst cocooned in the lap of luxury.
Matusadona does not sail alone, she is accompanied by two tenders for angling, a speed-boat for transfers and, soon to be added to the fleet, a game-viewing pontoon, especially geared for water-based game viewing. A completely different experience to land- based game viewing, watching a herd of elephants coming down to drink, so close you can almost touch them, their calves frolicking in the water with their mothers suspiciously standing by, is a truly memorable experience.
Here are a few special highlights found in Kariba that we've picked out :-
- Expansive water wilderness with incredible views in every direction
- A magic blend of land and water based safari activities
- Night skies on clear evenings to rival those of any place in the world
- Fantastic photographic opportunities
- Incredible sunsets
- Wide diversity of wildlife including big game like lion, buffalo and elephant
- Four spacious en-suite
- Air-conditioned cabins and generous crew quarters on the Lower Deck
- 2 x 420 HP Catepillar diesel engines
- 2 Generators │ 10kVA and 25kVA
- On‐board water filtration system (reverse osmosis) to provide purified drinking water throughout
- Inverter system for lights and some power points during the times that the generators are not in use
- Ice machine with a capacity to produce over 40 kg of ice per day
- Air conditioning throughout the Saloon and Cabin Decks.
- The Saloon Deck offers a large saloon
- Two dining areas
- A gourmet galley and the wheel-house
- The Upper Deck provides large open seating and al-fresco dining areas, along with a bar and jacuzzi.